Thursday, March 10, 2011

Live music in Nairobi? Bucketlist, CHECK

It’s no secret that I love music, all types, sounds and rhythms… except maybe country, but even that has grown on me considerably. But give me the opportunity to go to a Nigerian reggae concert, in Kenya, and I may have gotten on a flight to Africa for the show alone. I was invited to the Psquare concert by a few girls who were volunteering with Fadhili that I had met the previous weekend and when I mentioned it to my friends I met at orientation, they immediately bit. The anticipation for the Friday night concert felt like the week before graduation from high school, I’ve never been so excited, but also you have no idea what to expect. But just like the post-graduation events of my life, the concert did not disappoint. It was me, Bud, Will, Kendra, Erica, Julie, Emma and Victor, 5 Americans (the most I’ve been around in Kenya, actually) an Australian, a Brit and a Kenyan. We set out for the Simba Saloon, a partially outdoor, partially indoor venue that I would most liken to an African Ravinia. If you don’t know what Ravinia looks like, I’ll do my best to describe the Simba Saloon. Picture a forest with a big field cut out in the middle with drink vendors lining the outside boundaries. There is a huge stage set up in the front and people are standing in front of the stage dancing. Then there are people on the grass farther back, just listening to the music. Regardless of where you were seated or standing, the atmosphere was incredibly fun! The show started at 8, so we made sure that we were there at 830 so we could catch the opening act and be there for the whole show. We figured that African time would prevail and the opening acts would come on at 9, the main act would be on stage and performing by 1030 and the show would be over by Midnightish and we could hop in a cab and head over to the bar that the rest of the volunteers decided to go to that night. Well, we were right. African time did prevail. But I guess that it is a commonly known fact in Kenya that if a show starts at 8 the opening act will come on at 9 and be followed by 4-5 more opening acts that finish up around 1 in the morning. Then, the headliner will take the stage at around 130 and play until 330-4 in the morning. Normally, this would have been a little bit of a nuisance, waiting for your band to come on when you have been there for almost 5 hours, but honestly, none of us had ever heard this Nigerian Reggae group play, so every one of the opening acts might as well have been the main attraction. It was amazing! There was a dancehall singer that opened and got the crowd energized. We started dancing as soon as this guy took the stage and I don’t think we stopped until the security kicked us out at 415 in the morning. There was a female R and B singer who followed the Dancehall and her voice was incredible. It wasn’t the type of American R and B that is made for slow dancing. It had a Caribbean flavor that was upbeat while still showcasing her voice. After two reggae groups that played fun, lively music, the main attraction took the stage at about 145. You would have thought we were at an Usher concert the way all the girls in the place let out a collective scream as the twin brothers strutted on stage. Everyone in the crowd knew every word to every one of their songs, but we didn’t. So we made up with it with our dance skills. I’m sure the surrounding clusters of Africans couldn’t help but laugh at our mzungu moves, but we couldn’t have cared less. When would we ever see these people again? I think our energy was contagious (or the African guys wanted to dance with the mzungu girls) because at around the third song that came on, our entire area became a flat out dance party, dance circle and all. As one person entered the circle, they busted out their best Nigerian reggae infused dance moves, some admittedly better than others. Regardless of skill, everyone was constantly laughing and joking and the language barrier was non-existent as Americans were teaching Africans how to dougie and Africans were teaching wazungu how to actually dance. I picked up some quality moves for when I get back to Chicago, Funky Buddha, here I come! As is always the case, some knucklehead (yes I said knucklehead, self-censorship has never sounded so cool)  had to put a damper on everyone’s fun. One of the funniest, and most fun things about going out in Kenya is that the African women love to dance with white guys. Most of them are doing it for fun, or for the story or for a laugh, but every once in a while there are ulterior motives. My friend Bud (having had a few tembo pigas (our nickname for our favorite, no not favorite, most commonly ordered drink translated roughly to elephant hearts) was dancing with an African woman who took advantage of loud atmosphere and touchy dancing to reach into his pocket and take his phone and a few hundred shillings. Admittedly, a great move, but I did not say that in front of Bud. He was mad, but I told him that we could worry about it in the morning, you don’t want to let ANYTHING ruin your one chance to be at a concert in Kenya. He agreed and the party continued. When Ken (our taxi driver) was finally able to peel us off of the dancefloor, approaching sunrise, we all collapsed into his pimped out cab. We got back to the volunteer house in Nairobi and stayed up in the living room dancing and laughing on adrenaline alone (we were the only people there that night). Finally, we called it a night and I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke up in the morning, literally sore from all the dancing… a sign that either a) I am getting too old for these crazy all night dance fests or b) I had an unbelievable night the night before. I’m going with B. I plan on doing this until I can’t dance (the Kenyans showed me that might already be true… but I’m talking physically, not rhythmically) and even then I’m still going to try. If I ever get the opportunity for a reggae concert (for $10) in Kenya and I say no, something is wrong, get me to a doctor or something.

As I hear music on the radio, in clubs and everywhere (I swear everywhere you go, there is music in the air from someone’s car or radio or house) I have been compiling a list of songs that I like. Although there are TONS of songs that I love but haven’t caught the name or artist, I have a short list of the ones that I have gotten a hold of. Every morning when we wake up there is reggae or R and B or hip-hop or gospel music blasting in the living room. I thought this was just in the household that I live in, but when I sleep out on the weekends (if you to Nairobi clubs its difficult to get back safely to Ngong so I stay with friends… same goes with Kisarien and any other place that people go out) every Kenyan household has this “tradition”. It is an amazing way to start the day and I love it! Whoever is my next roommate better be prepared for some feel good music in the morning! Anyways, here is the short list (I have more but some aren’t exactly appropriate) of songs that have dominated my listening time since I arrived in Kenya.


Youtube: a few (way more to come/on demand)
Chris Martin (not Coldplay Chris Martin)- Paper lovin… anything by chris martin is good but this is his current hit
Cecile- when you’re gone
Gyptian – Hold yuh
Yesu Christo – Suduu
Today is my wedding day
Psquare- Do me
M.O.G. - Papa God Oh
Madcon- Beggin’
Mitch- give me a call
P-Unit- Kare
M.O.G.- wedding day

No comments:

Post a Comment